Saturday, October 01, 2005

Politics @ Work

Whether my bosses or my collagues like to admit or not, there is politics at our workplace. It's just that no one knows about it but me. This is because I mix with everyone in the company, from my own department (marketing), to creative, to operations, to IT and even to administration. I hear things I don't want to hear and don't like to hear.

30 September 2005 is Elyn's last day at LEO. A bunch of us decided to have a farewell dinner in SS2. The few of us were Elyn, Joyce, Flora, Eunice, Annie, Dan, Phan, Jon KF and Ms. Tan. Elyn, Joyce, Dan and Flora is from Operation Dept. Annie is from Admin. Eunice is from Creative Dept. Phan and Jon KF are ex-LEO and Ms. Tan helps out with Admin occasionally.

I got the chance to ask Joyce if they didn't like Marketing people and she admitted that they find the Marketing team a bit standoffish. I have to admit that Marketing has our own culture and we tend to stick to our own kind as we hangout after office hours and we talk our own lingo.

Eunice was saying that she doesn't want Hammie to help her out in the Creative and feels that she is better suited in Marketing. There were a few complains that Hammie can be irritating at times and she is always online chatting. Yes, I have to admit that she is always chatting at work with Meow. Meow on the other hand, doesn't socialize with the other department people and neither does CF. Needless to say, G (as a newcomer) hasn't been socializing with other departments as well, besides IT as she occasionally have probs with her pc. Mike is a stand-alone, he doesn't talk to anyone (besides Marketing people) unless he has to.

I don't blame other departments disliking the Marketing team as people need to get to know them better and blend in with them as I have mentioned, they have their own lingo and culture. As for Marketing not being able to blend with others, it's because they don't have the time to and there is no need for them to purposely walk over to other departments to socialize (bosses would think they are "snaking").

I have to admit that during dinner, I was a bit awkward and out of place even though I like all the people there and I get along fine with them but I felt like they had to watch their words when I'm around as they know that I'm very buddy with the Marketing team as well (how can I not be? I'm in Marketing afterall). G asked me, when we were on the way to Friendster for drinks after dinner, if i had the chance to ask about who told Ffish that Marketing was standoffish and I lied to her saying that I didn't ask. She asked why I didn't ask when there was a good oppurtunity to and I lied again saying that I have friends in other departments as well as Marketing so it's a hard position for me to ask. I feel so bad for lying but I believe that some things are better left unsaid. This is like a senario where the gf ask the bf if she looks fat. To tell a white lie will save a lot of relationships, politics and arguements in this case.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home